31 May 2013

Is Patrick Mercer the new Chris Huhne?

There are some striking similarities between Patrick Mercer's resignation statement this evening and the statement put out by Chris Huhne when he resigned from the Cabinet.

Huhne:

"This letter is to submit with much regret my resignation as Energy and Climate Change Secretary. I intend to mount a robust defence against the charges brought against me, and I have concluded that it would be distracting both to that effort and to my official duties if I were to continue in office."

Mercer:

"I am taking legal advice about these allegations - and I have referred myself to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards. In the meantime, to save my party embarrassment, I have resigned the Conservative Whip and have so informed Sir George Young."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment